Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Recording - Feature Requests (Read 18723 times)
Aaron
YaBB Newbies

Phoner is great!

Recording - Feature Requests
15. Jul 2009 at 22:30
Print Post  
I'm new user to SIP and Phoner.  Just started using my Google Voice account more (have had been using Grandcentral for VM only).  Learned how to set up SIP with Gizmo.  The Gizmo5 and GizmoCall both no good, sucks.  Then got X-Lite working OK.  But that is "installed program", and I want good sounding portable software --> Phoner.  Got it working now with the calls initiated by Google Voice and using that Gizmo SIP info.  Cool.

I wanted to record many conversations (make option to keep recorder on for all conversations rather then have user click that button manually each time?) .. and don't need/want voicemail in software.  So I turned off the voicemail.  Then set new folder.  But file is kinda unexpected.  It is ".wav" extension even when software is told to save as mp3 type.  So I looked at file and notice that it is mp3 but stored inside wav container.  Thats confusing.  And also the way it is stored as file inside folder.  I think this naming and location should be user selected.  I mean I want to name each file (date)(time)(number).(format) where format is "mp3" when I select mp3.  I really don't like the extra folder that is created.  Was hoping developer would implement this stuff in future software update.  You might also include some options, perhaps even in .ini file that user can manually edit, to control the mp3 settings.  Also why is not stereo sound ... seems mono with one person on one ear and other person on other ear.  I think I understand why but other software seems to have stereo recording?

Also would be nice to have some keyboard shortcuts to do things like answer phone and hangup phone.  Perhaps they already exist?  Please advise ... I don't know german language and would be kinda tough to search forum with translate.google.com, ha.   Bring you down to my stupid level...

Thanks for the software!

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Re: Recording - Feature Requests
Reply #1 - 16. Jul 2009 at 09:37
Print Post  
1) automatic recording
In Germany it is not legal to record a call without telling the other person that recording is on. Therefore there must be a user interaction - to avoid recordings accidentally  Wink
But you can do a right click on that recording button. A pop up menu appears where you can enable automatic recording. But keep in mind, that this is not saved - for the next Phoner start you have to enable this feature again.

2) MP3 vs WAV
WAV is a common container for any kind of audio format. I don't see a problem here. Do you have difficulties in playing these files with other audio software?

3) Phoner is an ISDN softphone historically. In ISDN you have more than one phone number. There is a own directory created for each number. That was a common feature request in past. Now Phoner supports VoIP (SIP) too, but internally all SIP stuff is hided in a DLL - Phoner still thinks that ISDN is used.
Sorry for that historically problems, but I don't have the time to change this. Maybe PhonerLite will get a recording feature in future. PhonerLite is a special version of Phoner that only supports VoIP.

4) Shortcuts
In PhonerLite you can configure such shortcuts. In Phoner they are pre defined: Alt-PageUp (connect/answer) and Alt-PageDn (disconnect).

IP Logged

Aaron
YaBB Newbies

Phoner is great!

Reply #2 - 16. Jul 2009 at 14:11
Print Post  
Dear Phoner Admin,

I think if you do the recording feature on SIP only PhonerLite that would be a very much appreciated feature.  And if you make ".mp3" and naming structure as I mentioned above, or at least have that as an option, then you would be more consistent with some other phone recording software = easier for people like me to transition to your software.  I am not just trying to waste your time.

Let me inform you about this Google Voice (formerly GrandCentral) is extremely slick service.  And they DO NOT HAVE SIP SOFTWARE !!!!  So you have a super nice position with portable SIP software and experience.  If you make available a version of you PhonerLite for GoogleVoice (and perhaps even go the distance of letting people get the SIP account from you rather then somewhere else such as Gizmo) and have it super easy with some excellent directions and preconfigured settings....  you might get yourself a huge amount of attention!  My advice.  I am not just a one off user ... once Google Voice gets open to public (matter of days/weeks perhaps) then there will be millions of new SIP users here in USA and eventually across world.

Oh yea, there are a few places in the Phoner where german is used that confuses me as English person.  I was scratching my head thinking is this important or is it some kind of SIP thing or is it just German software saying "you smell"?  Perhaps if you take my advice and go for the masses of google followers you make the software version all english language.

IP Logged

JB
God Member

Phoner-Support

Reply #3 - 16. Jul 2009 at 14:58
Print Post  
Dear Aaron,

Aaron wrote on 16. Jul 2009 at 14:11:
and perhaps even go the distance of letting people get the SIP account from you rather then somewhere else
you mean to offer software and account (call transfer from internet to phone lines, billing, and so on) in one hand? To realise this would need very much work not only once but every day the service should run. A private project, of which Phoner and Phoner lite come from, cannot stand this. It would need some people to manage such a telecommunication company, which is not possible here.
Nevertheless, with the lite version of Phoner, its Wizard and our support in this bulletin board, we try to make usage as easy as possible.

Quote:
Oh yea, there are a few places in the Phoner where german is used that confuses me as English person.  I was scratching my head thinking is this important or is it some kind of SIP thing or is it just German software saying "you smell"?
There are german expressions left in the translation? We ask you kindly to apologize! I promise, its never our desire to make you wonder nor to deprecate users! We are just human and humans do make mistakes.
Please tell us every missing translation or mistake during translation, we will correct this!

I would like to use this post to ask you and every reader to post us your settings of any sip service, which is not meantioned in the FAQ or the wizard. We will be pleased for every support!
Furthermore, I see, that it is time to translate the FAQ article to english, at least for those providers, which are available outside of Germany. I will begin with this after end of university tests in the following week.

Yours sincerely, Jens

IP Logged

Aaron
YaBB Newbies

Phoner is great!

Reply #4 - 16. Jul 2009 at 16:00
Print Post  
I don't mean transfer to phone lines.  That is exactly what Google Voice is doing and it's free to all phones in USA from the generous geeks at Google.  That's right, it's FREE!  So all you need to do is have some kind of SIP server to allow users like me with laptop computer and "PhonerLite4GV" to register with your SIP server and wait to be contacted by Google Voice.  

Perhaps this and computer is all you need?
http://www.opensips.org/Resources/Downloads

The way GV system works is that we users initiate the call on GV website.  The GV website will then ring our SIP phone (via your server) and then when we answer it will then immediately ring the destination (which can be phone line in USA for FREE unlimited!) anywhere in world that we select for destination.  The non-US destinations have a fee that is very low, lower then skype.  The GV has billing and that stuff all set up.  It's cheap.  And the beauty of GV is it allows alternative way to use with phone lines (like cellular phone and if you have cell phone rate plan that allows unlimited to a few "faves" as Tmobile or Verizon then it's like free all the time to every phone in US) rather then computer and SIP software.  But that is not relavent to your software so no need to discuss.  What I do is travel a lot and go to WiFi cafe and such and make my calls thru laptop computer (presently use Skype mostly) but this FREE Google system will be super hot when it goes public.  You should be ready now.  I think you aren't quite aware.  You seem to have good portable software (great positioning) and simple straightforward interface design with PhonerLite.  That's good.  Could be prettier of course, but best to make it simple as you are doing.  If you have SIP server where people can get their SIP number and register and have it all simple and straightforward for the new Google Voice users, and have the portable software all set up and ready which it is mostly done already you might be getting a lot of traffic.

IP Logged

JB
God Member

Phoner-Support

Reply #5 - 16. Jul 2009 at 17:47
Print Post  
I just visited the google voice preview site, but information are spread rarely there. What I found there seems that google voice works slightly different. Google calls their user before connecting to the destination, but I cannot see that this happens via sip. The demonstation video shows a mobile being called, so for using Phoner with google voice, you just need a (ideally free of charge) SIP-account (probably with an US number) of your choice configured in Phoner or Phoner lite and to enter this number on the google voice web site.

I could not find any information about google voice connecting via sip, but if you have additional (technical) information, please inform us.

Sincerely, Jens

Edited:
We have had good experiences with sipgate.de, which offers free german phone numbers. So sipgate.com (which offers free US numbers) may probably as well as sipgate.de. We cannot test it, because sipgate.com blocks connections from Germany.

IP Logged

Aaron
YaBB Newbies

Phoner is great!

Reply #6 - 16. Jul 2009 at 19:12
Print Post  
Yes it does allow SIP as phone.  When you get account with Google Voice they provide a phone number which evidently can be selected based on location in USA (they have a nifty page to select the number).  I got mine when GrandCentral was company.  It was similar situation in that we select which city across America we wanted the number.  So you can select a number in Dallas Texas even if you live in New York City, could be very convenient.   

Once you have the account with Google Voice you link you phones, plural, to the account.  You can link your SIP just like a landline or cellular phone.  There is a dropdown phone type list "Moble" "Work" "Home" or "Gizmo" (the gizmo is SIP phone option).  You tell Google the number and give that phone a name.  For the SIP it will give a popup window with confirmation code.  You then tell Google Voice to call the number and you punch in the confirmation code into the phone (softphone).  One possible issue is the technology being used for touchtone.  I used Gizmo.  Got a Gizmo account and it included the SIP.  The Gizmo software dialer app only worked for like an 2 hour before it stopped working correctly.  But by they I had used it to confirm with Google Voice link process. 

Here is directions I followed to make Google Voice work with X-Lite software after the crappy Gizmo softwa.

http://googlevoices.blogspot.com/2009/04/google-voice-to-gizmo-with-x-lite.html

I prefer portable software.  Can confirm it works with X-Lite and the touch tone thing seems to work after following those directions.  You probably know more about this issue then I know being a novice.

So that's pretty much it.  You linked your SIP phone to the Google Voice account.  That's all I use.  Free calls in USA from my computer and I have slick voicemail.  It's gonna be big when becomes open.  You can have many thousand of happy new users!  Monetize it and share $ with me.  Cool

I just get another free SIP from Ekiga.net, didn't test. You should provide too.

IP Logged

Aaron
YaBB Newbies

Phoner is great!

Reply #7 - 16. Jul 2009 at 19:21
Print Post  
It appears Sipgate.com is close to Google Voice features.  I think Google Voice is trying to take it to the next level and still has their bugs, thus still beta.  But they have so many users.... whatever they do gets lots of attention.  I do like the free phone number given out when signing up with SipGate.  Will investigate and likely sign up.  Thanks for the heads up.

IP Logged

JB
God Member

Phoner-Support

Reply #8 - 16. Jul 2009 at 20:12
Print Post  
When you can use X-lite where you want to use Phoner, everything should be ok. Just fill the configuration fields in phoners configuration tab with the values you used in x-lite. Phoner should work instantly. (It may be, that x-lite must be unregister first - closing x-lite should do.)
If you got problems after doing this, please feel free to report us.

What I saw on the preview pages of sipgate.com is that there are much more options than on sipgate.de. Probably this is due to german laws. For example, in Germany you have to prove, that you live in the region where you want to get a telephone number from. ...but this is an excursus...

Sincerely, Jens

IP Logged

JB
God Member

Phoner-Support

FAQ article for sip settings
Reply #9 - 31. Jul 2009 at 02:38
Print Post  
JB wrote on 16. Jul 2009 at 14:58:
I see, that it is time to translate the FAQ article to english, at least for those providers, which are available outside of Germany. I will begin with this after end of university tests in the following week.

Done.

You can find the FAQ article here and the support thread here.

Sincerely, Jens

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #10 - 08. Aug 2009 at 15:21
Print Post  
I got an invite from Google Voice but can't use the service, because they detect that I am using a German IP address. The service is only available in USA! As long this doesn't change, I won't do anything regarding Google Voice. Sorry.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint