Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Opus's quality and speed/bitrate (Read 8184 times)
Beller
YaBB Newbies

Phoner is great!

Opus's quality and speed/bitrate
17. Dec 2015 at 10:12
Print Post  
Guten Tag!
Several PhonerLite's versions/modifications ago (about half year ago) the PhonerLite's Opus codec appeared info 18 kbps, but it's sound quality was like 48-50 kbps (compared with LinPhone 48 kHz 50 kbps best quality Opus and with lower quality WB G722/Speex). Now PhonerLite's quality is 18 kbps. But LinPhone hasn't some PhonerLite's good features. 
Is it possible to make PhonerLite's version with Opus 48-50 kbps or with both speeds/bitrates for Opus? Thnx!
« Last Edit: 17. Dec 2015 at 23:38 by Beller »  

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Re: Opus's speed/bitrate
Reply #1 - 17. Dec 2015 at 11:12
Print Post  
Opus handles the quality for its own - thats the way PhonerLite uses it.
So if you chose a sampling rate of 16 kbit/s only, a lower quality is used than 48 kbit/s sampling.
Pure voice doesn't need such high data rates, but music does. Opus codec automatically choses right data rate and quality needed for the provided signal.

So what is your problem? Are you just looking at the numbers or do you feel a poor quality is to be heard when using PhonerLite?

IP Logged

Beller
YaBB Newbies

Phoner is great!

Re: Opus's quality and speed/bitrate
Reply #2 - 17. Dec 2015 at 22:33
Print Post  
I with my friends use Linphone and PhonerLite several years for speech, not music, of course identical program on both sides.
Current PhonerLite with Opus-18 or G722 WB or Speex WB (quality: this like this) transmits sound "S" is like "Sh"near"F"("Ph"), sound "Z"("Th") is like about "Zh", but half year ago PhonerLite or current Linphone hasn't this problem with Opus. We tested these "S" and "Z"("Th") sounds with PhonerLite now and earlier, with different hardwares/internet-providers any sides, so it's not hardware and not internet and not SIP-provider problem.
You wrote: "Opus codec automatically choses right data rate and quality needed for the provided signal" - but why PhonerLite's Opus half year ago versions-modifications automatically chose factually 48(50) for speech PhonerLite-2-PhonerLite (but now it's factually 18)? Of course I remember that half year ago PhonerLite offered only Opus-18 option, but factually it was 48(50) sound quality like Linphone.
So if use current PhonerLite's codecs assortment - it distorts speech because they trim high frequencies, but if Opus-48(50) quality - it's like You talk with companion near You.
http://cdni.wired.co.uk/1920x1280/o_r/opuscodec.jpg
For real quality music is fullband stereo Opus 128 and higher, for real quality speech - mono fullband Opus 40-128 kbps: Opus-48(50) is enough. Also Skype use about it.
Opus-18 is WB quality near Speex WB or near G.722 WB - not-super-wideband.
« Last Edit: 17. Dec 2015 at 23:38 by Beller »  

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 22. Dec 2015 at 16:10
Print Post  
Once again my question: What sampling rate do you have configured in PhonerLite?
I assume have NOT configured to use 48 kHz!

IP Logged

Beller
YaBB Newbies

Phoner is great!

Reply #4 - 23. Dec 2015 at 00:42
Print Post  
PhonerLite had and has only Opus-18 option, not 48(50), but half years ago and early PhonerLite's versions/modifications worked for talking/speech with selected Opus-18 like it's Opus-48(50) quality.
So, wanting for Opus-48(50) quality or additional option for Phonerlite's next version/modification.
If only Opus-18 option, no Opus-48(50) option now and in early versions, so there is and was no ability to configure to use 48 kHz Opus, but Opus-48(50) worked with about half year ago or early versions. I don't remember version/modification number when change and when PhonerLite lost Opus-48 quality.

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - 23. Dec 2015 at 16:37
Print Post  
The bitrate you see in the codec list for Opus is just an assumption depending of the sampling rate. 
Set sampling rate to 48 kHz and you will see another value as bitrate after restart of PhonerLite.

So if you ignore my answer with setting the sampling rate any longer, I can't help you.

IP Logged

Beller
YaBB Newbies

Phoner is great!

Reply #6 - 23. Dec 2015 at 20:50
Print Post  
I found where to change sampling rate (was 16000 Hz ~ Opus 18 kbps). Thanks, You holp me. Now codec list shows Opus 50 kbps.
Was some problem because possible different translations/meanings. 'll test later, 'll write if problem even now.

IP Logged

p30tk100d
YaBB Newbies

Phoner is great!

Reply #7 - 16. Apr 2016 at 20:45
Print Post  
Hi, we are using codec G722(16KHz) and Opus ( 48Khz),  but if the call is with G722 and we have sample at 48Khz,  and if  there are any silence, vb..the "called" waiting to respond,, there are noise at the ear of the "caller", following your audio. all this with call between 2 phonerlite. 

If the sample frequency is 16Khz, with G722, all is ok, no  noise.
It is posible use G722 sample with 16Khz automatically ?, when the call is at G722 , but opus at 48Khz , if selected, of course,  if you are using opus at the following call.? 

The normal user not known anything about sample frequency..   and sincerely, we need an authomatic system.

Tnx.

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - 18. Apr 2016 at 08:30
Print Post  
I can't reproduce any difference in sound quality when using 48 kHz and G.722 here.
Can you take at Options/Configuration/Sound if you have enabled options there that may cause the problem.

There are no plans to to do any automatic sample rate change if special codecs are used. Sorry.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint