Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Statistics Units (Read 1577 times)
THISS
YaBB Newbies
*
Offline


Phoner is great!

Posts: 2
Joined: 20. Sep 2018
Statistics Units
20. Sep 2018 at 03:40
Print Post  
Hello. Thanks for providing a useful application.

We have been using the statistics to help characterize call quality and network properties. Would you mind clarifying the units of the statistics, and the meaning of the presentation -

1. "Jitter" and "Buffer" is specified in milliseconds (ms), is that right?
2. "Packet Loss" is specified in number of packets, is that right? 
3. For packet loss, what is the meaning of the brackets - e.g. the value "0 (16)"
4. For buffer, we have seen values such as "200 + 57". Presumably the numbers are separated for a reason (like multiple buffers) - would you be able to share any more about this?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator
*****
Offline



Posts: 9442
Location: Germany
Joined: 12. Oct 2003
Gender: Male
Re: Statistics Units
Reply #1 - 20. Sep 2018 at 08:39
Print Post  
Quote:
1. "Jitter" and "Buffer" is specified in milliseconds (ms), is that right?

right!

Quote:
2. "Packet Loss" is specified in number of packets, is that right?

right!

Quote:
3. For packet loss, what is the meaning of the brackets - e.g. the value "0 (16)"

Imagine your sound card needs data constantly, but at the special moment there is no data from the network available. In this case a dummy packet will be generated internally. So this is not a real packet loss, more a missing packet for a special moment (it is too late).

Quote:
4. For buffer, we have seen values such as "200 + 57". Presumably the numbers are separated for a reason (like multiple buffers) - would you be able to share any more about this?

There is a buffer for received data from the network (jitter buffer). The sound cards needs some buffer too. The second value is the sound card related buffer. Normally you receive voice data (RTP) every 20 ms. You can't just put every 20 ms data to the sound card. That would produce crackling noise. The sound card buffer must be larger. Larger buffer means more delay but cleaner output.
  
Back to top
WWW  
IP Logged
 
THISS
YaBB Newbies
*
Offline


Phoner is great!

Posts: 2
Joined: 20. Sep 2018
Re: Statistics Units
Reply #2 - 20. Sep 2018 at 09:34
Print Post  
Brilliant - that all makes sense. Thanks very much for your swift and clear response.

Thumbs up for great support!  Smiley
  
Back to top
 
IP Logged
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint