Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Re-register timer (Read 4307 times)
acip
YaBB Newbies

Phoner is great!

Re-register timer
09. Nov 2011 at 15:06
Print Post  
I'm not convinced that the value of seconds one uses to re-register the PhonerLite with the SIP server in the Register box is working correctly.
By looking at the REGISTER packets sent out from PhonerLite these get repeated approximately every 48 seconds irrespective of the value entered.
Has anyone else seen this and/or can make a comment that will convince me that it does work correctly?
Thanks  Smiley

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Re: Re-register timer
Reply #1 - 09. Nov 2011 at 15:21
Print Post  
PhonerLite tells the server that registration will be valid for n seconds. The server can answer to use m seconds. But forget that case.
If PhonerLite would register exactly (!) after n seconds again, there will be a small gap the server would think that the client is not registered any more. Please consider delay of sending messages. Therefore PhonerLite has to register again "some time" before that period expires.
SIP over UDP defines some retransmissions, because of possible packet loss. After max. 32 seconds that retransmissions stops. So in theory re-registrations has to start 32 seconds before the registration time expires.

IP Logged

paxtonlein
YaBB Newbies

Phoner is great!

Reply #2 - 02. Aug 2023 at 08:48
Print Post  
In the unlikely event that PhonerLite would re-register precisely (!) after n seconds again, the server would incorrectly assume that the client had stopped registering. If you need to send a message, please be patient. Since that time period is limited, PhonerLite will need to re-register "some time" before it ends. 

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 02. Aug 2023 at 09:11
Print Post  
Therefore I wrote in my last post:
Quote:
Therefore PhonerLite has to register again "some time" before that period expires.
PhonerLite does this!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint