Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sound distortion (Read 5462 times)
Foner88
YaBB Newbies

Phoner is great!

Sound distortion
16. Jan 2012 at 09:16
Print Post  
I don't know what was changed lately in builds, but when I run the latest v.1.95, I hear the distortion in both cases: in ringing tone (when PhonerLite makes a new call and I hear the ringing tone) and in common audio, during a call. If I switch back to v.1.93 - no such problem with audio at all.

To make the comparison, I'm running PhonerLite from 2 folders on the same computer, using the same configuration. I switch from one version to another and hear the noticeable difference...

Is there something I should do now with configuration to run the new v.1.95 without distortion?

Thank you in advance

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Re: Sound distortion
Reply #1 - 16. Jan 2012 at 10:16
Print Post  
You are using the same audio devices and the same sampling rate?
I can't reproduce such problem here.

IP Logged

Foner88
YaBB Newbies

Phoner is great!

Reply #2 - 16. Jan 2012 at 22:44
Print Post  
On my computer there are two folders. Essential files, that are different in those two folders are:
=== In folder PhonerLite.193:
P1K.dll - 233,984
PhonerLite.exe - 2,828,832
PhonerLite.jdbg - 393,708
sipper.dll - 2,562,592
USBphone.dll - 71,200 (version 1.9)

=== In folder PhonerLite.195:
P1K.dll - 732,160
PhonerLite.exe - 2,882,592
PhonerLite.jdbg - 407,892
sipper.dll - 2,607,648
USBphone.dll - 71,200 (size is the same, but version is 1.10)

All configuration files are exactly the same in both folders...

Now, when I run PL from PhonerLite.195 folder I hear distortion (a hoarseness). But when I exit it and start from PhonerLite.193 folder, everything is back to normal.

I've tried to change the settings:
* Automatic gain control (AGC)
* Noise reduction
in both Receipt and Transmit channels - no luck. 

Distortion happens somewhere before Volume Control (changing it doesn't affect the distortion). My guess is - it could be created by an echo cancellation module or something similar. It's because I can hear it at the end of every ringing tone (they supposed to have the same volume during all its duration).

IP Logged

Foner88
YaBB Newbies

Phoner is great!

Reply #3 - 17. Jan 2012 at 00:03
Print Post  
I have good news - I've just resolved this issue (it's my local problem). And the solution was achieved via these steps:
1. in desperation to find out where the problem is, I've replaced files (sipper.dll and USBphone.dll in v.195 folder with files from v.193 folder and tried to run. It worsen the sound problems...
2. I replaced both modules back. And the problem is suddenly gone now Smiley

My guess was - some modules could be left in memory registered (unintentionally or otherwise). And presumably they were used by PhonerLite instead of those DLL's, that are in its local folder. It looks like renaming those v.195 files to a temporary names and putting in the same folder different version DLL's, followed by test run and renaming them back somehow fixed that weird problem... The sound quality is back now Smiley 

One more thing. I've noticed that my local outbound firewall (Jetico), while I was running from folder 195, it asked for permission for connection of PhonerLite with path pointing to 193 folder (which is completely wrong - I know where I launch my program from). But somehow it indicated the mess that was created... 

Rebooting computer and repeating my tests just proved that the problem is gone. Sorry that I took your time, but I'm happy to run the latest v.195 version now Smiley

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - 17. Jan 2012 at 08:21
Print Post  
Thanks for your update. But I can't explain why this happened. Sorry.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint