Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Phonerlite making unknown connection (Read 8389 times)
botyhc

Phoner is great!

Phonerlite making unknown connection
02. Jan 2011 at 23:13
Print Post  
Phonerlite is making connections as follows every now and then. Please remove all extraneous connections. I don't use any provider and I have deleted all providers in the ini file too. 

Connection on 5060 to the following IP addresses : 

Version is latest 1.84

Please fix these in the next version.

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Re: Phonerlite making unknown connection
Reply #1 - 03. Jan 2011 at 10:40
Print Post  
224.0.0.251 is the multicast address for Zero configuration networking. This is used by PhonerLite to find other SIP entities in your LAN. If you don't want this, you can uncheck the "mDNS" option in the network configuration of PhonerLite.

8.8.8.8 is the IP address of a Google DNS server. There should be sent no message to this address - it is just used for retrieving routing information (local IP address).

IP Logged

botyhc

Phoner is great!

Reply #2 - 04. Jan 2011 at 21:42
Print Post  
Local IP you mean external IP of the router correct ? You should use this and instead use stun protocol with user specified stun server. In general no connections should be made outside unless specified by user. This includes stun also. When using within LAN, these connections are being alerted by the network admin and he does not like them, that's another good reason too.

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 05. Jan 2011 at 07:51
Print Post  
"Local IP" means the IP-Address of the PC PhonerLite is running on - that is normally a private IP address.
Once again: There will never be a connection to 8.8.8.8! You can check this with tools like Wireshark.
If your "security suite" claims any connection - it fails!

IP Logged

botyhc

Phoner is great!

Reply #4 - 05. Jan 2011 at 21:25
Print Post  
You only mentioned it makes connection to 8.8.8.8 - "it is just used for retrieving routing information (local IP address). "
But it should not use it for any reason including routing information. For local and external IP it should use stun which should be allowed to be disabled by the user. I still see it trying to make connections 8.8.8.8 I hope this fully removed in next version. Its actually not good at all and the web page should first specify if it tries to do anything non-standard for sip.

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - 05. Jan 2011 at 22:19
Print Post  
STUN is for retrieving the public IP address! Once again: There is NO message sent to 8.8.8.8. If you don't believe it, you can use tools like Wireshark to verify that.
If you configure a proxy/registrar that destination address will be used to retrieve routing information. You don't have configured any server, so any other public address will be used (PhonerLite uses 8.8.8.8). That address is only used for getting local routing information.
If your "security tool" tells about any connections to 8.8.8.8 it is a crap - there will be no message sent to that destination.
But you won't believe it, so just use any other softphone...
« Last Edit: 06. Jan 2011 at 09:31 by Phoner Admin »  
IP Logged

botyhc

Phoner is great!

Reply #6 - 06. Jan 2011 at 21:40
Print Post  
I believe you that no message is sent. When you say it is used only for getting local routing information what do you mean by it ? What local routing information ? 

It is making that connection EVEN while registered to a sip server on the LAN unlike what you are saying. 

While it doesn't send message, it is still better to remove this connection or allow user to enable or disable it. I like phonerlite and want to help you make it better. Other softphones don't need connection like this, so phonerlite also shouldn't. 

Good work and keep it up.

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - 09. Jan 2011 at 13:14
Print Post  
A connection is something that exchange messages between two endpoints. That is not the case here!
So feel free to chose another softphone or tell your security tool that it should block messages but no "virtual" connection for retrieving routing information.

IP Logged

botyhc

Phoner is great!

Reply #8 - 31. Jan 2011 at 11:37
Print Post  
Phonerlite is listening to 77.62.171.113 on some high port. Why is that ? What is that IP ?

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - 31. Jan 2011 at 13:17
Print Post  
I don't know this address. How do you know about that address? Is that UDP or TCP? What is the port?

IP Logged

botyhc

Phoner is great!

Reply #10 - 01. Feb 2011 at 01:00
Print Post  
Its on port 42353
I think it is TCP. The connection is not showing in netstat probably because it is very fast and stops. I can see it in winpooch as alert.

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - 01. Feb 2011 at 08:32
Print Post  
That is the destination port? Sorry, but PhonerLite doesn't open such connection!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint