Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Answering Machine Explained (Read 4479 times)
Brother Gabriel

Answering Machine Explained
06. Aug 2011 at 04:26
Print Post  
Hello!  Okay, the help file for Phoner is all in German, so I am asking my questions here in English, about the Answering Machine.

1.  In the Answering Machine -settings, in the General tab, there is "max. Aufnahmedauer" - in my English Phoner - I assume that is some sort of delay?

2.  What is Tele-call?

3.  What is MSN dependent?

4.  What will happen if I change the status to "switched on" - I mean, if this is an answering machine, then don't I need a recording to play back to people who call me?

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Re: Answering Machine Explained
Reply #1 - 06. Aug 2011 at 14:43
Print Post  
Quote:
1.  In the Answering Machine -settings, in the General tab, there is "max. Aufnahmedauer" - in my English Phoner - I assume that is some sort of delay?

I will change this. It means "max. recording length" or duration.

Quote:
2.  What is Tele-call?

Please tell me the right English description for this. I mean you call from extern to Phoner and the answering machine answers the call. Now you can interrupt that announcement and put in a command and PIN and you can hear all the recordings. So it is some kind of remote access by phone.

Quote:
3.  What is MSN dependent?

Phoner is a classic ISDN client. In ISDN you have one line but you can have multiple phone numbers (Multiple Subscriber Numbers - MSN). So you can have a number for private calls and one for business. Depending of the called number (MSN) you can configure different settings.

Quote:
4.  What will happen if I change the status to "switched on" - I mean, if this is an answering machine, then don't I need a recording to play back to people who call me?

You can chose a wav file (.wav) for such announcements. Here again you can configure one in the phone book (dependent of the caller id), or you can configure one per MSN (dependent of the called number) - or globally if none of the previous configured settings matches.

IP Logged

Brother Gabriel

Reply #2 - 06. Aug 2011 at 20:42
Print Post  
Well, from the looks of things, I think Tele-call is what we call "VoiceMail".  Normally, I call a special extension, and when the machine answers, I can select options about how I want to listen to messages which other people have left there for me.  When I call the VoiceMail machine, I can push 1 for "New Messages", 2 for "Old Messages", etc.  On our Asterisk system, it is called "Password" instead of "PIN", however.

Now, in the Answering-Machine settings, under Tele-call, there are two fields: "Command digit" and "PIN".  Now, in our system, I dial a special extension - **5555 to get to the voicemail system for my extension.  I'm not sure what "Command digit" is, but I know it won't let my type in **5555.  But then again, what is the difference between "Command digit" and setting the "Mailbox" settings?  (By the way, I think "Mailbox settings" should have an entry in the "Options menu" - right now, it is quite hidden!).

MSN - do you mean that I can "register" my Phoner on multiple phone numbers?  Say, my own extension, 5555 and my neighbour's extension, 4444 (or my own, second extension, 5554)?

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 07. Aug 2011 at 11:14
Print Post  
Phoner is no server like Asterisk. There is no special extension to dial for accessing a voicemail system. You can just call Phoner. Phoner doesn't know that you want to hear all recordings from remote. Therefore you need some command to interrupt the announcement and start the remote access.

If you are using Asterisk, there is no need for the answering machine of Phoner! Phoner is just a client application. Don't forget this.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint