Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Support for (automatic) provisioning (Read 12940 times)
botyhc

Phoner is great!

Support for (automatic) provisioning
09. Jul 2012 at 17:18
Print Post  
It would be useful to have support for automatic provisioning, whereby it will download updated phonerlite.ini and sipper.ini files from a web server (if an option is set) automatically.

WHEN : 
- Everytime phonerlite starts, it checks for two files, 
httpS://www.awebsite.com/abcdefgh/phonerlite25/sipper.ini
httpS://www.awebsite.com/abcdefgh/phonerlite25/phonerlite.ini

If files exist, it automatically downloads and replaces current files before starting. If they don't exist, it ignores the update.

- Based on user defined interval. If phonerlite is running and on a call, then it will do after call is over. shutdown, download the inis, and then restart

Details
- IT must NOT check for certificate of the browser (or simply follow same options as for TLS)
- The urls of the ini files must be part of phonerlite.ini and must be completely user definable. 

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Re: Support for (automatic) provisioning
Reply #1 - 10. Jul 2012 at 08:22
Print Post  
I understand what you are interested in. But this means a lot of work for me. If everybody can download these files without authentication, it is useless. So there must be a way to configure a web password as well.
Do you want this for your personal use? For me it is too much work for only one person that will use such feature. I hope you understand this.

IP Logged

botyhc

Phoner is great!

Reply #2 - 17. Jul 2012 at 22:20
Print Post  
Phonerlite has the best encryption features combined with portability and ease of use. So I think everyone would want to use in wider scenario like in office. It is easy to administer, update, it with provisioning.

The authentication element I agree is useful, but when its within company, it is ok not to have. But otherwise I agree with you. 

The download part can be done with wget kind of open source libraries, perhaps and the new ini files just replace the existing ones. 

It is useful for everyone. Please see based on your time/priorities. I would vote for supporting Video more than anything, and must be highest priority. Next is supporting multiple lines at same time.

IP Logged

botyhc

Phoner is great!

Reply #3 - 17. Jul 2012 at 22:26
Print Post  
Phonerlite has the best encryption features combined with portability and ease of use. So I think everyone would want to use in wider scenario like in office. It is easy to administer, update, it with provisioning capability.

The authentication element I agree is useful, but when its within company, it is ok not to have. But otherwise I agree with you. So yes, its better to have it.

The download part can be done with wget kind of open source libraries, perhaps and the new ini files just replace the existing ones. 

I understand it will take time. But it is useful for everyone. Please see based on your time/priorities. 

I would vote for supporting Video more than anything, and must be highest priority. Next is supporting multiple lines at same time.

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - 18. Jul 2012 at 12:27
Print Post  
PhonerLite won't support video at any time. Sorry.

Provisioning: For me it sounds like a proprietary solution that fits for you. Downloading a configuration sounds great, but you still have to configure a username and password. The web server has to be configured too. So what is the advantage of that solution?
Normally a PhonerLite user only has to configure 3 things: username, password and SIP server. Instead of that you want a username, password and web server. I don't see any advantage.

IP Logged

botyhc

Phoner is great!

Reply #5 - 19. Jul 2012 at 22:52
Print Post  
Its not really proprietary at all.
It makes deploying phones in a company easy. 
See articles on snom provisioning for example.
Let's say I want to update the phonebook of the user in my company when someone leaves or joins, or I want to change the SIP server IP or the extension number itself ? 
I am not going to go every user sit at his laptop and change it correct ? Instead if I specify a url with user, password for each phone, then I can just change the phonebooks or the settings (including extension and any other details) but changing on my web server. 

Phonerlites will then automatically get that information and update. So it is hugely useful. 
Please see the snom provisioning you can appreciate how useful it is.

DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING AGAINST VIDEO ? Smiley
You don't like it ?

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - 20. Jul 2012 at 09:17
Print Post  
If I understand you - you want PhonerLite to download configuration AND phone book at startup automatically. You don't want this for initial configuration, but for updates.
This is a feature for commercial used products. PhonerLite is just a hobby project. I do implementation only for that I use personally. This specific auto provisioning I am not using!

I understand a centralized phone book. The first step is done in PhonerLite by importing Google Contacts. Do you have such centralized phone book accessible via a standard protocol? I don't mean the PhonerLite specific CSV file.

I am not interested in implementing video in PhonerLite. If I want to use video, I am using Skype. If I want to phone someone, I am using PhonerLite.

IP Logged

botyhc

Phoner is great!

Reply #7 - 22. Jul 2012 at 05:24
Print Post  
Skype is not good in terms of encryption. ZRTP (best) or TLS+SRTP are whatre already needed and phonerlite has this. So its a huge difference between adding video to phonerlite and using skype. 
There is free video codecs for H.264 etc. You just need to add them to phonerlite, and of course provide video display etc. I know its work, but for you I think its going to be far easier than anything you have done on phonerlite. 

It would a huge help to the phonerlite community to have this.

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - 23. Jul 2012 at 12:32
Print Post  
botyhc wrote on 22. Jul 2012 at 05:24:
free video codecs for H.264

Take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Patent_licensing

You are right that there is free source code available - but without a license I am not allowed to distribute that within my application. Welcome to the world of software patents.
But I am still not interested in implementing video at all. That is no question of the codec. Feel free to use any of that other softphones. If you don't like Skype, there are pure SIP clients too.

IP Logged

botyhc

Phoner is great!

Reply #9 - 14. Oct 2012 at 12:07
Print Post  
Please support https based provisioning in phonerlite. This is an extremely useful feature.

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #10 - 15. Oct 2012 at 13:19
Print Post  
There are thousand ways of implementing such provisioning. I would need an individual implementation for all that IP-PBXes. I don't have time to do so. Sorry.

IP Logged

botyhc

Phoner is great!

Reply #11 - 16. Oct 2012 at 10:47
Print Post  
Ignore the IP-PBXes. Just choose whatever format you want and a way to download from a http / https server or link. 
You can simply just make it download the sipper.ini file itself and replace. That's also fine ! But the exe must do this if the initial sipper.ini sets this option to yes. The url/link and the username, password are also in the sipper.ini

But once the provisioning update is done, the new sipper.ini can have different url and username, password also.

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - 17. Oct 2012 at 08:43
Print Post  
That needs more time than you are thinking. I won't use such feature. Therefore I will think about it, but with very low priority. I hope you understand this.
Problems with compatibility are more important for me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint