Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Pasting Numbers into the Dialing textbox (Read 6665 times)
Brother Gabriel

Pasting Numbers into the Dialing textbox
05. Apr 2022 at 17:12
Print Post  
PhonerLite lets me paste phone numbers into it's text box so I can dial them.

Well, I am having troubles dialing certain pasted text strings.  I'm pretty sure that PL's text box is unicode based.

So, I use Google Voice a lot, but make my calls over PhonerLite on a different phone number, so I often *copy* the phone number out of Google Voice's messaging panel - there above where it says the name.  Then, when I paste that phone number into PhonerLite, PhonerLite doesn't dial the *phone number* - it dials a feature code on my FreePBX system.

Now, I have figured out why that happens.  When I copy that phone number, there is a hidden glyph (you can't see it at all) at the beginning and end of the text string.  PhonerLite doesn't trim the phone number of non-dialable characters, so it instead tries to dial it, resulting in the feature code being dialed instead.   

The cure would be for PhonerLite to remove all non-dialable characters from anything pasted into the dialing text box.

I'm running PhonerLite 3.1.

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Re: Pasting Numbers into the Dialing textbox
Reply #1 - 06. Apr 2022 at 09:06
Print Post  
Can you save such copied number in a text file and send it here? So I can see what kind of special characters that are.

IP Logged

Brother Gabriel

Reply #2 - 07. Apr 2022 at 17:00
Print Post  
Hi, Mr. Administrator,
So, I think I figured it out.  I pasted the string into BabelMap, as suggested as an answer to my post here:

https://forum.high-logic.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9435&p=46674#p46674

and the characters that do not get trimmed are these: 

(in unicode block for General Punctuation)
\u202A
\u202C

and in hex (in unicode block for General Punctuation)
‪ U+202A LEFT-TO-RIGHT EMBEDDING [LRE]
‬ U+202C POP DIRECTIONAL FORMATTING [PDF] 

(I hope that helps; pasting into a text file requires the correct encoding of which I am unsure, but I think that I've got it here above)

I can confirm that the problem also happens if I have pasted that phone number (with the hidden glyphs) into the phonebook.
« Last Edit: 07. Apr 2022 at 18:52 by Brother Gabriel »  

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 08. Apr 2022 at 10:12
Print Post  
Thanks a lot!
I have uploaded a new beta version - maybe you can try it.

IP Logged

Brother Gabriel

Reply #4 - 08. Apr 2022 at 15:38
Print Post  
Hmmm...  whatever you did in the beta 3.3 didn't help.  When I copy that number out of the web page and paste it in the text box, it still calls the feature code.  However, if I type the number into the box manually, then the number gets called normally, like you would expect.  So, I'm still pasting in something something invisible that isn't getting trimmed.

Character:  (999) 999-9999
NCR (hex):  ‪(999) 999-9999‬
NCR (dec):  ‪(999) 999-9999‬
HTML:  ‪(999) 999-9999‬
UCN:  \u202A(999) 999-9999\u202C

Ah, and here is what the logbook records that was dialed:
xn--9999999999-s26e

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - 08. Apr 2022 at 17:21
Print Post  
Did you just extracted the "PhonerLite.exe"? You always need the file "sipper.dll" from ZIP too.
Is that an official web page you copied the number from? So Can I test it for my own?

IP Logged

Brother Gabriel

Reply #6 - 10. Apr 2022 at 18:36
Print Post  
Yes, I exctracted all the files from the zip file and replaced all the ones in my PhonerLite folder (with no instance of the exe running; I am an amateur programmer, in fact, and understand this...).

If you want to try it, you'd have to have a Google Voice number in your google account.  I'm copying the number from it's web panel.  (I've attached a screenshot)

I don't know if this helps any, but this is the html of the page source for the phone number whence I'm copying the text.

<p aria-label="3 3 1 2 4 8 2 3 3 5" class="uM2Vn-VdSJobuM2Vn-WW5To" gv-test-id="conversation-subtitle" ng-if="ctrl.hasSubTitle()">(999) 999-9999</p>

I mean, I guess I don't *have* to copy phone numbers from that particular place, since it comes with the caveat.  But I did figure you'd like to fix that particular little spot in the code because you are sort of like that.  I've used this program for years and years (and have my small share of posts here) and I've even stopped looking for any other kind of softphone program.

Screenshot2022_005.png ( 89 KB | 83 Downloads )
Screenshot2022_005.png

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - 11. Apr 2022 at 14:32
Print Post  
Google Voice is not available in my country (Germany) - so I can't test for my self.
Can you please paste your number into a text editor (notepad) and save the file and send it to me? You can directly send an e-mail with that file.

IP Logged

Brother Gabriel

Reply #8 - 11. Apr 2022 at 18:20
Print Post  
Okay, since you've requested that twice, I'll tell you why I have been hesitant...

I can't know that the characters on my clipboard are being trimmed via the copy and paste process because I can't see them when I paste.  There is something to do with the encoding of what I copy versus the encoding of the notepad text where I paste.  So, I cannot hold any faith in actually getting the characters to you in their original form.  And then, there's the problem that the characters show up in certain programs' text fields and not others - I mean show up - they get trimmed by the copy-paste process because the Windows Clipboard can store multiple formats all at the same time, and each program submits to the Windows Clipboard for particular formats.  If your subscribing format is not able to handle the special characters then it will only subscribe to plain text most likely with ANSI encoding.  

So, I know those characters are placed on the clipboard.  What the clipboard format is that is received by notepad, I have no idea.  So I don't think this is going to help you any.  But I've attached it for you to show my goodwill.

What will probably happen is that you will copy the text from my text file and say, "I'm sorry, I can't find any other characters here".  I'm pretty sure that I've done a good a job as possible explaining it for you without you actually having your hands on the text.  I just don't know how to *know* I'm sending you the extra characters at all.   

googlevoicetext__8236_.txt ( 0 KB | 142 Downloads )

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - 12. Apr 2022 at 08:43
Print Post  
Even if you don't believe it - it helped a lot.
I uploaded a new beta version.

IP Logged

Brother Gabriel

Reply #10 - 12. Apr 2022 at 15:59
Print Post  
It works!

Hey, tell me, please, what you discovered!  I did a lot of work trying to figure out what was going wrong.  I want to know how you resolved it.  What did you find in the text file that I did not report in my findings in this thread?  In other words, I want to know what I *could* have told you without having to send the text file.  (and I admit my hard-headedness about not sending you the file in the first place; it's my pride, you see; I wanted to solve the problem myself...)

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - 13. Apr 2022 at 10:05
Print Post  
A Hex editor shows you all containing data - including the not visible characters.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint