Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Minimize\hide to tray on close (Read 2540 times)
Jdee
YaBB Newbies

Phoner is great!

Minimize\hide to tray on close
15. Dec 2022 at 11:03
Print Post  
Hello all!

Please add the "Minimize\hide to tray on Close" feature. 

A Phoner is a program that often works in the "background", and during operation it is possible that the program may accidentally close unintentionally, the user may simply not notice what he closed, instead of minimizing.

Since the program can minimize to tray, it's good practice - run in background, when winow is closed.

By the way, other programs running in the background (skype, telegram, etc. have this feature and it's very convenient)

Thank you!

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Re: Minimize\hide to tray on close
Reply #1 - 15. Dec 2022 at 11:49
Print Post  
I hat that feature. I won't implement this in PhonerLite. If the user wants to close the application - the x button can be used. If the application should be minimized - the minimize button should be used.
If you press the x button you should see a warning. If you suppress that warning, it was your decision.

IP Logged

Jdee
YaBB Newbies

Phoner is great!

Reply #2 - 15. Dec 2022 at 12:35
Print Post  
Thanks for clarifying!
Of course you are right, but the reality is that the user who sees that the application is available in the tray - expects that the application "can run in the background."

The expectation that the application will work in the background - also arises because the phoner is an application "that allows you to be in touch", and this type of application when closed usually does not lead to "losing connection". 
- this is how dialer applications work in smartphones,
- instant messengers. 
This is the expected behavior by many users.

In my opinion, the UX practice in this case is that, the application that is in the tray usually behaves like this -
- when you click "hide" - the window is minimized to the taskbar (when a you wants to continue working with the application, but wants to temporarily change context), and 
- when click "close" - when they say "I don't need to work with phoner right now, but I want to stay in touch and receive calls, but please do not occupy my taskbar"

This is the meaning of the "tray" - it does not replace the taskbar (as a place where minimized applications lie), but complements - as a place where running applications are visible, but not needed in the current context

In the current implementation of the Phoner - hide to tray, it is proposed as a replacement for the taskbar, which is contrary to generally tray purpose.

In my proposed feature - it should be optional - it would help to relay any scenario desired by the user - with or without the tray, satisfies all user groups.

I just wanted to clarify my suggestion. Of course, the decision on implementation is on your side

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - 15. Dec 2022 at 14:58
Print Post  
By default the systray is not used by PhonerLite. This is just for users who like this.
You can give me as much reasons you want - I don't like that option and therefore I won't implement it. I hope you understand this.

IP Logged

Jdee
YaBB Newbies

Phoner is great!

Reply #4 - 15. Dec 2022 at 15:22
Print Post  
Sad, but thanks for the answer.

IP Logged

reichelmarcia
YaBB Newbies

Phoner is great!

Reply #5 - 29. Nov 2023 at 12:03
Print Post  
That is a great feature. Not going to add this to PhonerLite. Users can click the x button to close the application. Pressing the minimize button will bring the application to a close.

IP Logged

Phoner Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - 29. Nov 2023 at 12:43
Print Post  
Sorry, if you need that behavior for the x-button - you have to look for another application. I won't implement this. If you want to minimize - just use the button that is exactly for this feature.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint